The PURA brand was established in 1935 when German farmer Albert Siebel purchased a dairy in Preston, Victoria and named it PURA Dairy.
From a one-cart dairy delivering to only a few streets, PURA grew to become the best known milk brand in Victoria. By 1964, the PURA Dairy was supplying 32% of Melbourne's milk.
In 1991, PURA Dairy combined with other food related brands to form National Foods Limited.
Since 1991 the PURA brand has grown with the launch of the following brands:
- PURA Skimmer was launched as Farmers Union Skimmer; PURA's skim milk brand
- PURA HiLo was launched as Masters HiLo, a high calcium & protein milk
- PURA Light Start; PURA’s light milk brand
- PURA Cafe was launched as 'Lots O Froth' in SA, becoming PURA Cafe in 2001
- PURA Tone was launched; PURA's fat free milk
- PURA Gold was launched in NSW
- PURA Boost was launched in WA
- PURA HeartActive™ was launched
- PURA Kids was launched; PURA's kids milk brand
- PURA New was launched; PURA's low fat milk