Nutritional Benefits of Milk
Get the nutritional advantage by enjoying a balanced diet! A balanced diet gives your body the nutrients it needs to function well and to help keep you feeling great!
Having a balanced diet is simple. Choose lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grain cereals and lean meats, and include plenty of nutrient-rich dairy foods. The Dietary Guidelines for Australian Adults provide simple recommendations to help you achieve a balanced diet.
As recommended by the Dietary Guidelines, there are several benefits of drinking milk and other dairy foods for all of the essential nutrients they provide to the diet. Milk foods are the richest source of calcium in the Australian diet, as few foods provide as much absorbable calcium (Australian Dietray Guidelines). It is important to remember that there are many other benefits of drinking milk than just calcium. It naturally provides a package of many essential nutrients.
So drink up - and get the milk nutrition advantage!
The Dietary Guidelines for Australian Adults
National Health and Medical Research Council
- Eat plenty of vegetables, legumes and fruits
- Eat plenty of cereals (including breads, rice, pasta and noodles) preferably wholegrain
- Include lean meat, fish, poultry and/or alternatives
- Include milk, yogurts, cheeses and/or alternatives. Reduced-fat varieties should be chosen where possible
- Drink plenty of water
And take care to
- Limit saturated fat and moderate total fat intake
- Choose foods low in salt
- Limit your alcohol intake if you choose to drink
Consume only moderate amounts of sugars and foods containing added sugars.